Breakdown Cover

By Lewis on 22nd June 2016 - View Comments

When buying a car not many of us want to think about it breaking, of course it’s the last thing you want to consider when purchasing a new motor but it should be worth a thought or two.

Let me pose you this question. What happens if you are driving to a meeting on the motorway and your engine management light comes on, the car goes into limp mode. You pull over to the hard shoulder and now it won’t restart. How do you get to your destination? Or maybe your off on your jollies, you have caravan or trailer in tow but you have a blowout and no spare. What do you do?

For those of you with new cars this isn’t usually much of an issue, they rarely breakdown and if they do or it’s a fault out of your control such as a puncture, most newly purchased vehicles come with free/included breakdown recovery.

For those of you with slightly older cars, lapsed cover, no breakdown cover altogether or even if you want to be thoroughly covered then this might be of interest to you.

Let’s look at the basics of breakdown cover…

What is breakdown cover?

Most standard breakdown insurance policies will offer roadside recovery and roadside rescue as an entry-level standard of service.

Such cover will provide assistance to motorists who have broken down and are unable to continue their journey.

Who is breakdown cover suitable for?

Breakdown cover could be a sound investment for anyone who regularly travels by car, or another motorised vehicle. It may prove particularly suitable for people who own older vehicles, for those who regularly drive at night or in remote areas, for families, and for business travellers or commuters.

How does breakdown cover work?

There are two broad types of breakdown cover categories available to consider before you think about your cover levels:

Standard breakdown cover

Standard breakdown cover is offered by the majority of breakdown companies and is the most convenient option for most customers.

You choose the level of cover that best suits your needs and pay an annual fee up front. Any call outs you make during the period of cover are then free of charge.

You’ll have the choice between personal breakdown cover or vehicle-based cover. The former covers you as the passenger in any car you are travelling in, providing it falls within the breakdown company’s conditions. The latter covers the nominated vehicle only.

Some breakdown companies, such as the AA and RAC, have their own patrols while others, such as Green Flag, will contract out to local recovery service.

For further information or to get a quote follow the link here.

Share This Post